Eagle

Isle of Skye Wildlife Tours

FBFindUsOnFacebook320

Friday 28 June 2013

Well today was all about Sea Eagles in more ways than one!

Well today was all about Sea Eagles in more ways than one!

I took the day off in order to go on an RSPB event regarding Sea Eagle monitoring on Skye. The morning consisted of a boat trip to study territory elements, nest sites and habitat. Sadly it was a wet misty morning and the two Sea Eagles we saw spent most of their time huddled under shelter. Two other Eagles vanished in the gloom before they could be identified properly. The afternoon was at the Aros Centre with talks on Conservation, Persecution, Population Status, etc.

A great day. But on the way home . . . . . . !!!!

A few hundred metres from my house I saw a young Sea Eagle crossing the glen. I tracked it in the binoculars until it landed, where much to my surprise I saw there were two other Sea Eagles on the ground. Rushing home and grabbing the scope (which of course I'd not taken out) I set it up on my drive and sought out the birds. Well  . . . there were eleven Sea Eagles all sat round some carrion, at least two adult birds, the rest being youngsters.

Eleven Sea Eagles is the most I've ever seen together at one time. Add in the two earlier and thirteen is also the highest number for a single day.

If you want to see Sea Eagles then I think you know where to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

downloadbrochurebutton
pinterestpiniticon

© Images and text copyright Andrew McLean and Wendy McLean

*Terms and Conditions Apply